Sunday, 7 August 2011

no dummy

My baby not only knows how to pull out his dummy, but he now is learning how to get it in again. So far, only the hard edged part, unfortunately for him! But this morning in bed I watched him put in the soft nippley bit, pull it out again, put it in, pull it out, for minutes, with great triumphant sucking sounds.

Watching Conrad trying to do things, messing them up, and getting frustrated, is a learning experience for me. I'm the kind of person who tries to fix other people's problems and is always offering advice, probably a really annoying character trait. With Conrad I mentally have to sit on my hands so I don't jump in and help him. It's a tough call to make: when is he expressing frustration (a good healthy emotion that I hope will spur him to keep trying and make his eventual success all the more satisfying), and when is he crying out for me (and I should help him so he doesn't feel powerless and scared)?

No comments:

Post a Comment