Thursday, 14 July 2011

time!

Almost a week since I've found time to make an entry here, despite every day writing in my head. There really is so little spare time now, which shouldn't be new information, I know. Newsflash: babies make life busy!

Actually, I'm surprised to find that the actual baby care takes LESS time than I thought it would. Breastfeeding takes a quarter of an hour. Burping done in ten mins, changing a nappy in another ten minutes (except in case of pooplosion). Multiply that all by about six per day.

How much time I then choose to invest in actively communicating or playing with Conrad is up to me - and, I might add, the subject of earnest debate out there (philosophies include: shake toys in his face every waking moment lest his development suffer/ leave your child alone on his playmat so he can discover the world himself/ strap your baby to you and carry him everywhere so he learns about the world through your everyday actions while you wreck your back/ etc).

I think what makes the day pass so quickly, with so few opportunities to get much else done, is the interruptible nature of life now. Luckily I've always been a multitasker. As I have been writing this in the last ten minutes, I also have been making a risotto, tidying the kitchen, drinking a glass of wine, talking to my mum on the phone about babysitting tomorrow, and keeping an ear out for Conrad to wake up. So forgive me if my train of thought seems fractured. 

Perfect timing: Conrad just cried out and the risotto is done, so I now can dandle him on my lap while I eat with one hand and press "publish post" with the other!

No comments:

Post a Comment