Conrad has limbs! Who knew? Not Conrad. But now he is discovering them with glee. Since he was a few weeks old he has liked to stand up, bearing all his weight on his legs while I steadied him under his armpits. Apparently most babies don't do this until three or four months so I was happy about that. He likes to 'walk' too, putting one foot out in front of the other…. but he hasn't worked out that the feet need to alternate, so the same foot will get stepped out three times in a row, leaving the other one stuck way behind him, which puts me in stitches.
He's always loved kicking too, like any baby. But now his kicking has intensified, becoming really robust and, I think, deliberate. When he's lying on the change table he now kicks upwards, using his tummy muscles to hold both legs straight up in the air. He's also started kicking backwards, so that he propels himself a few centimetres up the table with his heels.
His legs are not the only limbs he's finding - in the last few weeks he's started holding on to objects with his hands. Mostly it's not deliberate: I just wrap his fingers around something and they stay there, so that he aimlessly waves whatever it is in the air without realising he's holding it. But deliberate is only a few days away. While out walking on Friday I looked in the pram to see he'd grabbed his dummy out of his mouth and was holding it with both hands, mouthing the hard part of it.
His fists are permanently in his mouth, and now other things are going in there too - my thumb that he was grasping, mobile phone, you name it. We have to start being careful that whatever he holds, we're happy with it ending up in his digestive system!
No comments:
Post a Comment