Thursday, 29 November 2012

First rumblings of the avalanche

I hazily toyed with giving Conrad to my friend D the other day. I had been out for a night on the town, and was deeply, drunkenly, asleep when Conrad's waking wail wrenched me out of slumber. It was not yet five a.m. Unimpressed, my darling boy: mama's still boozy.

But later that morning he miraculously found my lost phone charger, and was generally insanely cute, and came out with three more new words over the course of the day, pretty awesome ones - 'tea', 'hat' and 'fruit' - so I decided to keep him. 

These latest additions to Conrad's vocabulary met withe the gleeful affirmation, applause, hugs all round etc, as his other words. The list so far: Hi (Haiii), Bye Bye (Bah Bye), Dog (Doh), Bird (Bir), Duck (Duh), Fish (Fih), Bee (BEE! BEEBEEBEEEE!), Star (Dar), Baby (Babay), Hat (Hah), Shoes (Sue), Socks (Soh), Mama, Daddy, Nanna, Kitty (Kitta), More!, NO!!!! (Noh!!!), Bath (Bah), Door (Door Door), Book (Booh), Nose (Noe), Mouth (Mou), Eye, Wee Wee (Weh weh - unfortunately not yet in association with his own), Car (Tah), Truck (Tuh), Bike (Byh), Plane (Mayn), Nah nah (Food or drink), Bread (Beh), Cheese (Tzeeh), Puffballs (Puhboh), Fruit (Fooh) and Tea. 

I've been waiting for these words for months, ever since, one wondrous morning, he suddenly pointed out into the backyard and exclaimed, "Birds! Out there!"  But this gorgeous phrase turned out to be a one-off, and it is only now that I think the 'avalanche' of words that I've read about is beginning.

I am absolutely elated with every new word, to think it has been brewing in that little head for so many months and finally has been coordinated by his brain and mouth to come out into the spoken world. Welcome, dear words! You're here!

No comments:

Post a Comment