It's a quarter to five in the afternoon**, I'm in my tracksuit pants and ugg boots, all I've eaten today is a Dickensian diet of porridge and bread, and I haven't left the house or done any exercises. I feel most un-yummy, more like bummy slummy mummy.
It's a long time since I've been so slothful - not since those first six weeks of motherhood, those dark, dark days. Usually now I make a point of getting properly dressed every morning, which does wonders for my mood. Today feels like a slippery slope, and I can see how stay-at-home parents end up isolated, unkempt and wearing stretch fabrics. Actually, I can see why daytime drinking and repeat scripts for valium were popular for mothers during the '50s.
Some days I feel like I barely cope, and I've only got one baby, plus a helpful partner, a cleaner once a fortnight, two keen grandmamas and lots of friends happy to babysit. I actually cannot fathom how people do this with several kids, but then, once upon a time i couldn't fathom how people did it with one. You just do, I guess.
**Well, it was when I first started writing this. Yesterday.
you do, and you will. It gets so much easier with so many more gorgeous stages to come.
ReplyDeleteThank you Emma! And you do it with three so that's very reassuring to hear.
ReplyDeleteHey Caroline, I think you might like this article: http://www.doublex.com/section/kids-parenting/katie-roiphe-my-newborn-narcotic?page=0,0
ReplyDelete